Author Topic: iBooks are Better If You Own an iPad or Mac  (Read 4666 times)

kjmcneish

• Administrator
    • View Profile
iBooks are Better If You Own an iPad or Mac
« on: December 12, 2013, 12:30:26 PM »
I've had a lot of offline discussions with readers about this subject, so I'm adding this post to put the information front and center! Here's the lowdown, which I have also added to our web site:

High Definition and Interactive!
iBooks provide a superior reading experience because they include embedded HD-videos, high-definition images, and interactive diagrams--none of which Amazon allows in Kindle books. So, if you own an iPad or Mac (running Mavericks), we highly recommend purchasing the iBooks version of this series.

Seamless Automatic Book Updates
Apple has a superior process for providing book updates. When we release an updated version of one of our books (we provide free updates on a regular basis), Apple alerts you by displaying an update badge in the iBooks app. You just tap the badge to download an updated version of the book.

All the best!
Kevin

DAS Associates

• View Profile
Re: iBooks are Better If You Own an iPad or Mac
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 10:18:45 AM »
Hello Kevin,
Although I have purchased all your books for the iPad as well as hardcopy versions for Books 1 and 2, I have, based on your advice in the forum just purchased Book 3 (AGAIN) but this time in the iBooks version. (No, no prizes or medals. ;D)
At first glance it would appear the reading experience is better than the Kindle version when viewed on the iPad. However, the handling of iBooks feels somewhat clumsy compared to the Kindle (Mac/iPad) version. Navigating with the Kindle app is far easier than iBooks. Perhaps it is my problem as I have only used the Kindle app previously.

Bye for now

DAS

DAS Associates

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 04:40:39 AM »
Yes, it's me again! :) Kevin, I have just received from Apple my bill for the above book of yours. :'( Why are your books via Apple more expensive than purchasing from Kindle? :( I know it is only a couple of dollars but it is the principle. After all it is the same book! :o

Bye for now

DAS

kjmcneish

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 09:55:52 AM »
The iBooks version of our books are slightly more expensive to cover production costs.

The Kindle and paperback versions of our books are simply generated from the same MS Word document. In contrast, true Multi-Touch iBooks are a lot of work!

Unlike other publishers that simply regurgitate their book in PDF format for iBooks (they're not MultiTouch), we spend several hundred extra hours on each book formatting it for iBooks using iBooks Author, where we have to get placement of all images, videos and text down to the pixel level, as well as create interactive diagrams which aren't available in the other formats. So, we charge a few extra dollars for each book to cover that production cost. No other publisher of books about iOS is putting in this same effort for iBooks.

Hope that helps!
Kevin

AdrienVillez

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 11:11:13 PM »
I personally never tried any kindle, etc (I actually never tried anything else than iBooks from Apple) so, I won't judge but I'm very happy with the iBooks experience.   Whatever the price, the updates are here when they are available, less prints = less cut trees!

and of course, the included videos and diaporama are a great add-ons to a book.

Looking forward for the suit of the collection!

vijayj691

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 06:46:30 AM »
Hi Kevin,
I'm so glad to have come across this book. I have purchased the Kindle version.
Unfortunately, I am unable to find any video or sample projects which comes as a part of this package.

Do let me know if there is anything that I am missing.

Thanks,
Vijay

kjmcneish

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 12:08:42 PM »
Vijay,

At the end of most chapters is a link that streams the videos from our web site.

There is also a link in the first chapter for downloading the sample apps.

All the best!
Kevin