Author Topic: A Swift Programming Books is in the works!  (Read 13996 times)

kjmcneish

• Administrator
    • View Profile
A Swift Programming Books is in the works!
« on: June 08, 2014, 12:02:50 AM »
Yes, I have a Swift programming book is in the works! I'll post information here as soon as it's available!

All the best!
Kevin

RC

• View Profile
Re: A Swift Programming Books is in the works!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 02:10:06 PM »
Hi Kevin,

Nice that you are working on a new book. I've finished your first book, and reading the second at the moment.
Is the Swift programming book you're working on also for non-programmers? How long do you think that it will take?

Kind regards

Tom77w

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 07:37:34 PM »
 Great to hear the news. And thanks for the daily Twitter tips on Swift.

:)
Tom

kjmcneish

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 01:38:21 PM »
Yes, the Swift book will be for non-programmers too.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Apple, but I may have to wait until Xcode 6 is officially released because the iOS PLA says that you can't publish screen shots of Xcode 6 during beta.

That said, I may release a "Swift Quick Reference Guide" before then that doesn't include screen shots but covers the basics of the language.

All the best!
Kevin

RC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 01:42:14 PM »
Thanks Kevin, till then i hope that i can finish the second book successfully.

Kind Regards

ashsmuse

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 04:00:07 PM »
Im new to programming for iOS, and I have purchased all 3 books, in which Iam reading through the 3rd book now.. Im really glad that your going to write a Swift Book! I've been reading a bit on Apple's swift book, and the language looks really nice and somewhat easier to program in, but it does assume you are familiar with programming in Objective-C of course.. I will instantly buy your swift book, to learn how to program using the language! I cannot wait! I haven't tried any other programming books besides yours as I wanted to learn how to program iOS apps from scratch, with no prior knowledge of programming, because I don't really have much.. I use to program in VB like 10 years ago, but it was just making little programs for AOL, to create mischief, to be honest.. I lost interest in programming until I got the itch to program again, for iOS... This brings me to my next question.. are you going to make any books teaching us how to use the Game Development tools in Xcode? I went from wanting to make apps in iOS to really wanting to make games for iOS.. I'am not too far into Book 3, so Im not sure if there is a dedicated Sprite Kit section.. but I would love to learn all that I can about making games for iOS!!!

Sorry this post is so large.. its kind of my introduction into the site, and Im new to all of this really! Cant wait to start programming iOS apps and games with your instruction, and guides! Thank you!

kjmcneish

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 10:02:32 PM »
I agree, it's an absolute blast making iOS apps!

I do plan to do an iOS game book. Now that we have both Sprite Kit and Scene Kit in iOS it will be much easier!

All the best!
Kevin

ashsmuse

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 10:16:00 AM »
Awesome Kevin, well I will be first in line to buy the Swift book when you release as well as the iOS game book as well! I love how your books explain certain things found in a language, or in Xcode in terms for beginners and people who are just now trying to learn how to program! I would like to ask, will your Swift book be out in time for the September/October launch of Xcode6? I just wonder if its going to be a buyable book when Swift and Xcode6 are officially live! I know thats asking a whole lot, but I thought I'd ask! Thank you!!

-Ash-

kjmcneish

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2014, 12:52:13 PM »
Ash,

Yes, my goal is to have the book released on the same day Xcode 6 and iOS 8 are officially released.

All the best!
Kevin

Dekard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 01:24:00 PM »
I agree, it's an absolute blast making iOS apps!

I do plan to do an iOS game book. Now that we have both Sprite Kit and Scene Kit in iOS it will be much easier!

All the best!
Kevin

Let me know if you want some help with graphics. :)  http://www.jeremylindstrom.com

kjmcneish

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 07:52:40 PM »
Thanks Jeremy...I think we're good to go. We were in Hawaii the entire summer this year so Sharlene has a ton of great pictures to choose from...lots of birds too!

Kevin

rtamesis

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 12:02:56 PM »
Will you be releasing your Swift books next week now that Swift is in GM status?