Author Topic: Adding licenses and acknowledgements to Settings Bundle  (Read 6633 times)

rtamesis

• View Profile
Adding licenses and acknowledgements to Settings Bundle
« on: August 07, 2014, 02:28:02 PM »
I'm at the point writing my app where I have to start thinking about acknowledging all of the open source third party controls that I've used and displaying their licenses. I tried implementing what this guy wrote at http://codehappily.wordpress.com/2014/03/18/ios-how-to-create-an-ios-settings-entry-for-your-app-using-settings-bundle/ to try to display the licenses in an acknowledgement section in the Settings, but unfortunately I can't seem to run the script which he recommends, so I was wondering if there was a manual way to add the licenses in or if you have an entirely different recommendation. Frankly, the whole subject of creating a Settings bundle, tying it with NSUsersDefault to save preferences and adding acknowledgements cries out for a coherent and complete tutorial for us new to the subject, which I have yet to find on the Internet.

kjmcneish

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Adding licenses and acknowledgements to Settings Bundle
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 05:08:59 PM »
Although you CAN add licenses and acknowledgements this way, there are certainly other ways to do it. Personally, I like to put these in a .html file and display them in a scene with a web view.

All the best!
Kevin

rtamesis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 07:06:48 PM »
Is it your opinion then that adding a Settings bundle is just not a good idea and that I'll be better off just adding a view controller inside the app to display preferences and those acknowledgements?

kjmcneish

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 11:46:51 PM »
I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but it's just easier to create an html file which allows you to apply a wide variety of styles to the text. You can either bundle the html file and load it as a local resource, and if you prefer, even host the html page on a web site.

All the best!
Kevin