Author Topic: Loading data from online source  (Read 7469 times)

drb116

• View Profile
Loading data from online source
« on: March 28, 2015, 07:00:55 PM »
I am a high school teacher and I am trying to develop an app for my students where I can post things like class news and homework assignments.  I am currently populating table views with information in core data, but I need a method to populate the tables from on online source since the information would change daily.

I am struggling to figure out what the best approach would be to send this data to the app on a daily basis. I was thinking something like refreshing the app core data from an online data store such as AWS, but I don't know if there are other alternatives that may be easier.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can sync up data on a daily basis?

kjmcneish

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Loading data from online source
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 12:26:23 PM »
AWS is pretty straightforward once you understand how NOSQL databases work. I've got an mmBusinessObjectAWS class I can let you use that makes it much easier to use AWS.

All the best!
Kevin

drb116

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 12:36:57 PM »
Thanks Kevin, that would be great. I have very good understanding of relational databases and understand the concept of NOSQL. What I am looking to do is pretty basic from a data warehouse perspective, so it sounds like AWS would work. Where would I find your example?

I am the app in Swift, is it possible to have some of the files in Objective C, or do I need to translate everything into Swift?

kjmcneish

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 12:49:21 AM »
Sorry for the delay...was traveling back home the last few days.

Would you prefer to have the file files in Swift or Objective-C?

Kevin

drb116

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 08:25:01 AM »
Swift would be great. Thanks.