Author Topic: EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (code=EXC_1386_INVOP, subcode=0x0)  (Read 10584 times)

brianarm

• View Profile
EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (code=EXC_1386_INVOP, subcode=0x0)
« on: June 02, 2015, 09:12:05 PM »
Hi,

I'm going through exercise Exercise 9.1, Book 4: Learning to Code in Swift.

I keep receiving an error message in Playground: "EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (code=EXC_1386_INVOP, subcode=0x0)".

For comparison purposes, I've attached 2 images:

Exercise 9.1 from Book.png (what I followed in the video tutorial from Chapter 9: Creating Custom Classes, Solution Movie 9.1)
Exercise 9.1 from Playground.png (what I entered into Playground that gives me the error message)

I've double checked a dozen times that my code in Playground matches the code in the video.

Can anybody see where I've gone wrong, or have any advice on how to eliminate the error message?

If so, please advise!

Regards,

Brian

kjmcneish

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (code=EXC_1386_INVOP, subcode=0x0)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 10:44:15 PM »
Brian,

Why don't you upload your playground (or send it to me: kevin@iosappsfornonprogrammers.com) and I'll check it out.

All the best!
Kevin

brianarm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 11:23:33 AM »
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for responding so promptly.

Attached is the Playground file.

Regards,

Brian

kjmcneish

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 10:26:18 AM »
Brian,

I checked out your playground and it's working fine for me. I recommend a healthy reboot on your Mac. If you still have problems afterwards, let me know!

All the best!
Kevin

brianarm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 11:40:20 AM »
Hi Kevin,

That worked like magic! And also improved the speed at which the iOS Simulator opens.

Many thanks and sorry to have bothered you. I should have been bright enough to figure that out on my own.   ;)

Also wanted to mention that I've read 3 books and tried 4 different courses before purchasing your book. None of them hold a candle to your clear and succinct presentation and straightforward explanation of each concept.

The Summary reinforcements and Exercises at the end of each chapter (along with the step by step video) make the entire learning process a pleasant and encouraging experience!

For programming beginners (like myself), it's exactly what we need!

Regards,

Brian

kjmcneish

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 10:03:39 PM »
Brian,

No problem at all, glad to help and glad you're enjoying the series!

If you haven't already done so, I greatly appreciate even short reviews on Amazon and the iBook Store!

All the best!
Kevin