Author Topic: "Buggy" video clips at the end of the chapters  (Read 5075 times)

lundzern

• View Profile
"Buggy" video clips at the end of the chapters
« on: January 24, 2016, 08:14:17 AM »
I'm just at chapter 4 in the book but the video at the end of this chapter is full of glitches.

At some points in the video, the image on the screen is distorted every 3 seconds which more or less renders the video useless. This is annoying because the videos are really useful (when they work).
I like to view the video before reading the chapter, that helps me avoid stupid mistakes when reading through the chapter afterwards.

Has anyone else notices this? I'm on a 27" iMac.

A little off topic but there are two other issues I have noticed so far; the first one is with the book not being able to have a two-page view. Is this normal? I contacted Apple support which were not able to help me sort this out. Any of the other books in my iBooks library can display two pages at the same time, just not this book.

Also, when downloading the sample code I found that the Swift Demo in chapter 3 already contained all the code that we are supposed to enter during that chapter. I found that a little confusing. In fact, it contained even more code then what is taught in chapter 3.

Thanks for any help :)

kjmcneish

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: "Buggy" video clips at the end of the chapters
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 12:22:37 PM »
Sorry to hear about the problems you're experiencing! This happens occasionally with downloads from the iBooks Store. Here's how you can solve it:

1. Make sure you have the latest version of iBooks on your computer
2. Delete the book from iBooks
3. Re-download the book.

This should fix the problem with the video, and with not being able to display two pages at a time...let me know how this works for you.

I'll check out chapter 3's sample code and get back to you!

All the best!
Kevin McNeish

kjmcneish

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 02:32:42 PM »
I updated the sample code so Chapter 3 is not already completed...sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks for the heads up!

All the best!
Kevin McNeish

lundzern

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 11:03:13 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply, I found out that the videos only start getting buggy after about 4-5 minutes of playing so if a video clips starts acting up after a few minutes of playing one can just stop the playpack, and then restart it from the point where one left of.

This ensures that the next 4-5 minutes of playback are bug free.

At first I thought it had something to do with the actual video files but it seems more like it is a problem with the iBooks video playback feature. Also, my iMac has only 4GB of RAM which I guess is a bit low for running iBooks and Xcode etc at the same time.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 11:10:29 AM by lundzern »

kjmcneish

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 11:32:41 AM »
That may very well be an issue...however, re-downloading the book may also fix the problem.

All the best!
Kevin