Author Topic: Are There Still Opportunities for New App Developers?  (Read 5605 times)

kjmcneish

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Are There Still Opportunities for New App Developers?
« on: October 17, 2012, 01:45:33 PM »
(I had to delete the original message to get rid of thousands of spam messages that showed up in the forum). Here it is again:

Tom77w asked:

In view of the large number of app developers with apps on the app store and new big established app studios making apps is there hope for newbies? Just seems like every idea imaginable has already been developed by an app developer.

I am encoraged to persevere because of experts in this field such as Kevin McNeish who have provided an elegant and effective way for rookie app developers to learn the art of creating apps. I like the simplicity of Kevin's teaching style because I don't feel like my head is about to explode after reading chapter two which has happend reading various IOS App dev books on the market.

Carving out a niche in the huge app market is more challeging than ever. And I hope those of us who simply would like to make a decent living at making apps can still do so.

While this question is directed to Kevin, anyone wishing to provide some input is welcome.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

------------------------------------------------------------------
I replied:

Tom,

Glad to hear you're enjoying the series!

In answer to your question--absolutely. There are always new trends and new interests in the world at large and if you can tap into these you can create an App that does very well.

For example, EVERYONE is currently complaining about the Maps App, but Apple has created an opportunity where you can creating a Routing App (subways, buses, trains) that users can purchase directly from the built-in Map App.

There are also a lot of Apps out there that you can improve on. Even though an App already exists to solve a particular problem, often there is a better approach that you can implement in your own App. Apple has been tremendously successful in doing just that. Taking something that exists, and making it far more user friendly. If you haven't already done so, I recommend checking out Apple's iOS Human Interface Guidelines (http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#DOCUMENTATION/UserExperience/Conceptual/MobileHIG/Introduction/Introduction.html). There are far too many Apps in the store that don't take the advice in this guide!

You can also get your App noticed if you create a Universal version that works for both the iPhone and the iPad (there are a lot less Apps in the iPad store). If you take advantage of new features in the operating system, you can also stand out. Many App developers are reluctant to take advantage of new iOS features because it means their Apps won't work on older operating systems. If you're willing to take the plunge with a new App, you can get noticed by taking advantage of great new features.

You can also get into the business of creating Apps for others. A great opportunity in iOS 6 is the new Passbook App. You can create coupons, store cards, boarding passes and event tickets for businesses in your area. It's pretty exciting for a local (or national) business to see their store cards and coupons scannable from an iPhone.

There is also new integration with Facebook and Twitter. It's VERY easy to incorporate this functionality into your App (only two lines of code) and you can have your users sharing photos and messages from within your App.

There's also the new Collection View available in iOS 6. It allows you to easily create a user interface that mimics the built-in Photo and Music Apps. We've been waiting a long time for this functionality, and now it's up to App developers to incorporate this new control in their Apps.

Kevin